Wednesday, July 16, 2008

back to reality

I’ve just been back from my holidays and even though I’m still struggling with jet lag and physical unease from exhaustion, I went straight back to four straight twelve hour shifts last week that I feel the need for again, another two weeks holidays. Back to life and (trying hard not to make it sound like a sing-along) back to reality.

No more lobsters in England!!!
I’m quite sure there’s a cheesy pop song like this one in the early nineties. Work as usual is pretty much as dull and boring as the weather. Since coming back, I have only just looked after bog standard post-operative patients monitored overnight, woken up the next day, extubated then discharged to the wards.

Kayaking is not for the fainthearted quite literally. You can flip over and you need at least half an hour of cardio warm up before you step inside the lithesome vessel.
I wonder if patients with complicated problems which we often think are more interesting also go on holidays. Say, somebody with Addisons disease that had been going on for years undiagnosed could be admiring the works of Gaudi in the quirkiest streets of Barcelona until he/she has a crisis. That’s a pretty morbid thought and not a very good example, so I will slap my wrist and change my topic. Of course, patients that actually get better are way far more interesting and rewarding.
My holidays went really well. I enjoyed the picnics and the barbecues.

Soaking up magnificent late afternoon sunshine petting the maple leaves as barbie gently sizzles in flame.
That’s Canada. Quite simply, the most glorious place on Earth.
They get really stroppy when you disagree. Next they’ll be telling us all evil villains are British and a bald head really is a solar panel to energize the brains.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger may said...

welcome back.to reality :)

8:51 PM  
Blogger x said...

i'm happy you went on a holiday! you totally deserve another 1, ne. haha.

gahhh, that lobster is HUGE! it must taste really good. and, man, i wish i could do that kayak thing like you, ya know. :)

welcome back! ...to reality?

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you really had a tince vacation ! Welcome back :)

6:43 PM  
Blogger MBW said...

Hello Howling,

Good to read you back.

Wow, what lobsters! Yum...

4:46 PM  
Blogger MBW said...

I seriously thoguht you'd given up on blogging and good to know you're back.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Keith "Nurse Keith" Carlson, RN, BSN, NC-BC said...

I also love Canada. If it was south of Texas, I'd move there in a minute.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

just found this article through google. I've never been in Canada. But now I want a bit more to make a Canada trip :)

Last time I've been in Amsterdam. Was also a nice trip. And very relaxed ;-)

By the way... you didn't wrote for a long time something. Hope you are well. Come back and keep blogging ;-)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home